fiberglass fuel tanks

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Bertramp

fiberglass fuel tanks

Post by Bertramp »

I have gas engines. My aluminum tank is producing a white powder on the carburetor filter.
I'm going to switch to 2 micron, but ultimately, I'm thinking that it might be tank time.
Hightide no longer has fiberglass ethanol OK tanks, their supplier is no more.
They are offering a aluminum tank, but if I gotta buy a new tank and have it installed, I want to do it once.
Anyone know of a fiberglass fuel tank company ?
thanks
1970 Bahia Mar - hull# 316-1003
1990 Blackfin 27 - center console
Steve "Bertramp" Kelly
Al C
Standing Member

Re: fiberglass fuel tanks

Post by Al C »

31 Bertram Specialties - Alex Whitaker he is on the west coast so shipping will be expensive.

http://www.31bertram.com/fiberglass-fuel-tanks.html
Pete Fallon

Post by Pete Fallon »

Steve,
There is a company that is now building poly plastic tanks in large sizes. I was at the Back Cove plant this spring and they are using a 250 gallon roto molded tank that was really slick looking. I am pretty sure that the new 35 is using the poly plastic tank from the same company, I can't think of the name of the company but somebody in the sandbox must know the companies name.
There is a company in the Commerce Industrial Park in Stuart Fl that makes poly tanks for the Orange Grove business, The name escapes me at this time but they are just around the block from L&H Boatworks, call Randy Leininger at DuRite Boatworks (772-631-6977) I think he is very close by, Randy will know the name tell him I sent you.
Pete Fallon
1961 Express Vizcaya Hull 186 12-13-61
Raybo Marine NY

Post by Raybo Marine NY »

A coated aluminum tank should outlast all of us
scenarioL113

Post by scenarioL113 »

Moeller makes polyethylene tanks. I have one and am happy with it.
1971 28 Bertram
4BT Cummins

Frank

9-11-01 NEVER FORGET
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Steve

Call ronco plastics. They make all types of room older tanks. They made my holding tank and they make tanks for the marine industry.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Steve

Also try an outfit called kraco. The only issue is it looks like they might topout st 100 gallons.
Last edited by Tony Meola on Sep 18th, '16, 22:08, edited 1 time in total.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Pete Fallon

Post by Pete Fallon »

Steve,
Moller is the name of the tank maker that I was trying to come up with last night. Thanks L113
Pete Fallon
Raybo Marine NY

Btw 35 hull #1 has a 350 gallon alum tank
Bertramp

Post by Bertramp »

A plastic would be great....thanks
Steve "Bertramp" Kelly
Raybo Marine NY

for comparable range to stock capacity will obviously require a large tank.
The space it occupies is pretty simple shaped, but the big issue is properly securing it.
Plastic tanks cant be foamed in and unlike alum you cant just attach a bunch of mounting tabs to it and drop it over the stringers and attach to bulkheads.
It needs space to expand and contract, and it will do that a lot.
New boats are built with all this in mind retrofitting an older boat is sometimes not so simple and many are improperly installed.
A factory plastic tank boat came in because the dealer refused it on trade in due to cracks in the bottom- reason was it was wedged in so tight between the stringers and bulkhead that it actually blew them out. Had to replace tank, stringers, and repair cracks in the bottom.

if you can figure out a way to secure it hopefully you can find an "off the shelf" tank that will work because to get one custom made will likely run you no less than $10k
Bertramp

Post by Bertramp »

My mechanic buddy's son ...also a mechanic, recommended bringing the diesel boat north due to the ethanol gas up north.
So, Raybo...what do you recommend, aside from a re-power to diesel
Steve "Bertramp" Kelly
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Steve

You are prety much stuck with going aluminum. If this is for the 31 and you want glass, contact Alex Whitaker. But figure it out this way, Aluminum will last a minimum of 10 years, made properly and coated and installed right, probably 20.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Pete Fallon

Post by Pete Fallon »

Steve,
I have found that in Florida an uncoated aluminum fuel tank lasts for 12 years, a tank coated with coal tar epoxy around 18 years. I have seen aluminum tanks in the New England area last for over 20 years, not as much humidity in the NE. Check with Glass Tech in Miami they had a FRP fuel tank that was made for a client that was too high to fit under the deck they were selling it at a discount, they also make custom fiberglass tanks built to order. They are located around the block from the old Bertram factory in Hialeah. They have a pretty good web site.
Pete Fallon
Carl

Post by Carl »

Are you sure the tank is compromised?

The Alex Whitaker fiberglass tank is 4700...

I just checked shipping cost using Freightquote based on 72" x 36 x 36" at 350lbs with 5k insurance.
Price to ship there to here (both locations forklift or loading dock) cost $478.00 at the low end to about $900.00 with UPS Freight or FedEx Freight.

If your marina does not have a forklift, a couple guys should be able to pull it off or you pay a few bucks more for a truck with liftgate.

I do not think that's bad when you total it up for a glass tank...
...unless of course they push the E15 through and we are all glued, screwed and tattooed cause that crap will eat through everything.
Bertramp

Post by Bertramp »

Carl wrote:Are you sure the tank is compromised?
I am getting a white powder (believed to be aluminum oxide) that is forming on the fuel filter of the carburetor.
Arguably, having the boat north (less humidity) and using it only 6 months, with a fresh filter start of season and a replace half way through, I might not have a problem.
Steve "Bertramp" Kelly
Raybo Marine NY

remove the sender, take a small inspection mirror and insert it into the tank looking at the underside of the lid, shine a flashlight on the mirror and see what shape the lid looks like
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Steve

This is the Bert right?

The issue with the Roto Molded tank is that once they get over 100 gallons they need baffles and I don't think they have figured out a way to put them in.

Carl is right about the E15. If I was in your shoes, I would go aluminum and have it powdered coated on the outside. At least 20 years on it. In fact I just saw an article today in the NJ Fisherman that Moeller tanks is now recommending that if you lay the boat up, you empty the gas out of it so you do not get phase separation.

If E15 comes to town, we should figure out a way to start up a business to empty out tanks for the winter and put it back in the spring.

Think about the mess E15 will cause. You need gas to get to the marina or ramp to pull the boat. But lets stick with Marina's here. Then you need to somehow empty the tank. No way a marina is going to let 100 or more boat owners do that on their own. Oh the liability. Then, you need to put fuel in them to launch them and get them to the fuel dock. (Marina I use does not sell fuel) No way in hades is a marina going to now let all of these owners show up with gas cans to put gas in the boat just so they can start them.

Oh what a tangled web we weave.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Dug

Post by Dug »

I am likely going to have to replace my tank this winter as well. I have diesel in the bilge and there is no other source that I can find other than a leaking tank. So far. Yep, gonna have to cut up that teak deck too. Sad, but such is life.

Right now here is what I am considering...

Custom aluminum tank to replace the aluminum tank I have.
Raising the bottom of the tank so it sits a bit more out of the bilge (read water...)
Awlgripping the tank, not powder coating. I am told awlgrip will adhere to the aluminum better than powder coating. Robbie, you may want to weigh in on this...
I am then thinking I may go batshit crazy and have the tank rhino lined/sprayed with truck bedliner, over the paint.

That right there is the mind wanderings of a guy who loves his teak deck and does not want to pull it out again for a really long time.

As for resources here in MA/RI/CT, there is Luthers in Bristol, RI who are the big guys, and then Capeway welding which is related to NE Propeller. Both make tanks, and I have only spoken with capeway so far.

Dug
Carl

Post by Carl »

Tony Meola wrote: I would go aluminum and have it powdered coated on the outside. At least 20 years on it.
I am a fan of Powdercoating, even aluminum. It lasts a good long time...unless it gets scratched or rubbed hard. Once the water/moisture has a place to take hold allowing corrosion to get underneath coating it's the beginning of the end. Saw it on windshields, towers, brackets that were powder coated. I was still going to powdercoat my tank as it was "better then nothing", but the good Captain Patrick recommended using Coal Tar Epoxy instead.
Rhino Liner is some tough stuff...heard of some using, not sure how it stands up to the test of time...guess wells see. I just hate it sits down in the bilge where you cannot inspect easily.
Hope I get more then 10-20 years, gotta be knocking on 10-11 years since I installed tank...I did 3/16" thick alum and Coat Tar Epoxy.

If faced with this decision today, I'd place order with Alex Whitaker for a glass tank and not have to keep leaking tank in the back of my mind. Especially gas...
dcasey10

Post by dcasey10 »

I am also about to replace the Tank. Mine is still the original fiberglass tank but it has been coated with a product made AOC called Viple f764, see the link http://www.aoc-resins.com/pdf/web_F764.pdf. I am replacing because the tank is small and my 440s rip though it fast, and who knows how long the coating will hold up, along with the fact that my cockpit is rotted and needs to be replaced so might as well do it now.

I was looking into Atlantic Coastal Welding speedytanks in Bayville, NJ. They have made a number of 31 tanks and they claim to use all american made aluminum that is top quality and thinker than the RDS tanks sold by Hightide and others. The tanks come fully coated in tar coal epoxy and include some type of warranty. 230 gallon and 250 gallon size. Sounds like a good option to me.
STraenkle

Post by STraenkle »

Dug, you have diesel, why go aluminum? If you want, I still have my original fiberglass tank, I saved it in case they ever came up with a coating the would allow it to take E10 gas. Just a thought, fiberglass doesn't rust, expand, and this one costs you $0 and shipping costs nothing, your only 40 miles from me.

Need to cut back on the stuff I collected over the years and sell this house.
Scott Traenkle
1962 31

Post by 1962 31 »

atlantic did my tank fully coated
I made mine longer and a bit taller and hold 240 gallons
it was pretty easy on the pocket
Dug

Post by Dug »

Scott, that might be a great idea. Is it the 175 gallon? Or so?

Only question is whether it can be retrofitted to handle the diesel return lines etc.
Amberjack

Post by Amberjack »

Dug--I repowered to diesel in 2004 and retrofitted my original fiberglass tank for the diesel return lines. It was simple. The yard also gave the tank a good cleaning to get the solidified crud left from the gas off the bottom of the tank while they had the bronze plate removed.
Doug Pratt
Bertram 31 Amberjack
FBC hull #315-820
Bertramp

Post by Bertramp »

If Dug doesn't want, I will throw my hat in the ring for if/when I diesel up....
Steve "Bertramp" Kelly
Pete Fallon

Post by Pete Fallon »

Steve & Dug,
Check out the Ocean Link web site they have a 230 gallon Roto Molded fuel tank for under 2K with fittings and returns. I would check them out they are at the Hinkley Complex in Portsmith RI. It's worth a look.
Pete Fallon
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

dcasey10 wrote:I am also about to replace the Tank. Mine is still the original fiberglass tank but it has been coated with a product made AOC called Viple f764, see the link http://www.aoc-resins.com/pdf/web_F764.pdf. I am replacing because the tank is small and my 440s rip though it fast, and who knows how long the coating will hold up, along with the fact that my cockpit is rotted and needs to be replaced so might as well do it now.

I was looking into Atlantic Coastal Welding speedytanks in Bayville, NJ. They have made a number of 31 tanks and they claim to use all american made aluminum that is top quality and thinker than the RDS tanks sold by Hightide and others. The tanks come fully coated in tar coal epoxy and include some type of warranty. 230 gallon and 250 gallon size. Sounds like a good option to me.

http://www.patriotmarinefab.net/

Also give Patriot a call for a quote on an aluminum tank. They do great work. Watch out for SPS. They used to be in Brick Town but have moved to Barnegat. I know at one time they had gotten pretty sloppy and a former member had big issues with them.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
STraenkle

Post by STraenkle »

Dug, my boat is a 1975, so it is the 230 gallon tank with the gel coat on the inside. the fuel return is easy to add, just t off the vent. Been in the garage for what 6 or 7 years. Going to sell the house this spring, so as they say "everything must go". You would want to clean and flush it, It has been completely empty the whole time. I put all the fuel in my lawn mower and cars years ago, ran water thru it with a pump and put it in the garage. Free if you want it, just grab a pick up truck and head on down, maybe have dinner here in Marion and head back to Woosta (aka Worcester)
Scott Traenkle
Dug

Post by Dug »

Scott, thanks!

At this point I will take it! I understand the house for sale prep, and now just have to figure out how and when to break free to get down there!

Thank you!!!

Dug
Dug

Post by Dug »

More importantly, it would be great to see you. Its been too long!
STraenkle

Post by STraenkle »

Dug, Send me a pm or email and see what works for you to pick it up. Just need a real pick up, 6 or 8 foot bed, weight is not an issue, just width.
Scott Traenkle
Carl

Post by Carl »

Slide in sideways...it fit in my old 86 Toyota pickup, tailgate down and strapped.
Dug

Post by Dug »

Scott!!!! I would love to come get that tank. Thank you so much!

My email is dstowe@lutco.com. Shoot me your updated phone number would ya?

D