Egg Harbor

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

moguls2go

Egg Harbor

Post by moguls2go »

I was chatting with a buddy last week about a 35' Egg Harbor we saw online; I've always admired the lines and have had a generally good impression of them, but don't have any first hand experience. What are your opinions and experiences with these boats?
Max
IRGuy

Re: Egg Harbor

Post by IRGuy »

I looked at one before I bought my B33.. I'm no expert, but as I recall they have in general flatter bottoms than Bertrams, meaning they probably don't roll as much when drifting or anchored, but aren't as good handling the heavy stuff that Bertrams are known for. I was impressed with the interior fit and finish, but some of that is a direct result of how well they are maintained. In boats and marriages.. neither is perfect and all require some compromises by the Captain.
Frank B
1983 Bertram 33 FBC "Phoenix"
--------------
Trump lied! Washington DC isn't a swamp.. it is a cesspool!
jspiezio

Post by jspiezio »

Great family boat and cruiser, not an offshore machine like your 31B. They are well built, but flat bottomed so they pound quite a bit. But wives and kids love them because their interiors are huge for the size.
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

What year is the Egg. The older boats are solid boats, built in NJ tradition as far as hull design goes. They are not speed demons. They have a deep forgot and are flat at the stern. They were designed to run NJ inlets and coastal waters.

I never disconnected one in a head sea so I can not say how they handle in rough weather. Great one drift, very stable platform due to the flat bottom at the stern.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
moguls2go

Post by moguls2go »

Tony Meola wrote:What year is the Egg.
We were talking about them generally. Many of the boats I see on Yachtworld are from the late 70's through mid-80's.
Max
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

I have never heard anyone complain about the workmanship on an Egg. The only issue I see is that used a lot of teak and wood in sections. So there may be need for repair on rot and of course the up keep on the teak.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Charlie J

Post by Charlie J »

the 1970 eggs the windows leaked
and as tony stated rot
1968 hull # 316 - 757
White Bear

Post by White Bear »

My father had a 37' Egg Harbor in the mid/late '60s which we used between NY and ME. Very nice, roomy boat which handled all weather conditions we attempted including a huge following sea that chased us into Newport one afternoon. Unfortunately, being one of the last wooden hull boats, maintenance costs soared out of sight and the boat moved on to new stewardship - I often wonder what happened to her as my searches of the USCG documentation records have been fruitless.
mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Post by mike ohlstein »

I have a friend who was interested in a 37 Egg some years back. We traveled from Montauk to South Jersey looking at them. Every one had leaky windows and rotten wood at the aft end of the cabin. Many had leaks that dripped directly on the generator, reducing it to a pile of rust. Quite a few had residential air conditioners installed in the cabin, which lead me to believe that they didn't run much, if at all.

But a very pretty boat.....
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
Pete Fallon

Post by Pete Fallon »

Moguls2go,
My former mate bought a 36' Egg about 10 years ago from Southern Conn, area, he installed new Crusader big blocks, glassed all leaking windows, removed a rusted generator and used it on the North Shore of Boston for many years. He had a baby and decided to sell, the broker had it listed for 30K a very few lookers and finally donated it for tax write-off couldn't even get $5K for it. Have another friend that is trying to sell his late 70's 38' Egg not even a offer in 2 seasons. Glass hull with wood house not very saleable in the Boston area. Both boats were clean and had a lot of upgrades.
Pete Fallon
1961 Express Vizcaya Hull 186 12-13-61