Update on Another Joy and Lowrance question

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Brent Roy

Update on Another Joy and Lowrance question

Post by Brent Roy »

Chuck and I are making great progress on AJ. We took Daryl Pennington Jr on as our third partner and yesterday we changed the port shift cable and got both engines running! Actually took her into the Tickfaw river and did a preliminary sea trial. Ran great. I'm not sure how to post videos here but you can send me a friend request on Facebook and see the videos there.

I bought a Lowrance HDS 12 generation 3 GPS/Sonar/radar unit online from a guy that's a bass pro. The unit doesn't have a transducer so we are going to have to get one. Can any of you tell me if a "shoot thru hull" transducer will work on a 31 Bertram? I have a shoot thru hull on my Skeeter 24 with the same Lowrance unit. Thanks for any help guys!
"Fish where they live. Must be present to win!"
Navatech

Re: Update on Another Joy and Lowrance question

Post by Navatech »

Brent Roy wrote:Can any of you tell me if a "shoot thru hull" transducer will work on a 31 Bertram?
Yes it will... "Shoot thru hull" transducers only have problems with cored bottoms... Bertrams don't have cored bottoms...
Brent Roy

Post by Brent Roy »

Thank you very much! :)
"Fish where they live. Must be present to win!"
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

You have a good partner in Daryl. I enjoyed meeting the Penningtons at Tropic Star with your Dad.
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
Chris Frank L.D.S.

Post by Chris Frank L.D.S. »

Careful with the in hull transducers. Bertrams have such a dramatic dead rise if you don't get a tilted element transducer you will not see what is underneath you. You may be seeing things 20-75 feet away to one side from the boat dependent on depth. It is further complicated if you want to introduce down view and side view sonar. I'm currently working on this for the 31' "Limited Edition"
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

AirMar has a "shoot thru hull" transducer with an adjustable base which will accommodate up to 24' of dead rise; it worked perfectly on my old 31. It is filled with linseed oil I believe, and the transducer rests in a pocket of oil.
Terry Frank

Post by Terry Frank »

More important can you fix a "roux"?
Happy to be here. Happy to be anywhere.

Terry