factory diesel return lines

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Raybo Marine NY

factory diesel return lines

Post by Raybo Marine NY »

Was it standard practice for factory diesel 31's to have the return line plumbed into the fill hose?
Navatech

Re: factory diesel return lines

Post by Navatech »

Raybo Marine NY wrote:Was it standard practice for factory diesel 31's to have the return line plumbed into the fill hose?
I very much doubt it... Diesel return lines are usually two separate fittings on the tank...
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Robbie

My boat came with the diesel return port already installed in the tank, even though she was a gasser at the time. We bought ours new, so I know no one put her there but Bertram.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Navatech

Post by Navatech »

Tony Meola wrote:My boat came with the diesel return port already installed in the tank, even though she was a gasser at the time. We bought ours new, so I know no one put her there but Bertram.
Think about it... With the exception of the provision for a fuel return the tank is identical... Why would a manufacturer like Bertram bother with two inventory items?!...

It's not unlike today's cars... They all have the same wiring loom... Regardless of the options that actually do get put in the car...
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Navatech wrote:Think about it... With the exception of the provision for a fuel return the tank is identical... Why would a manufacturer like Bertram bother with two inventory items?!...

It's not unlike today's cars... They all have the same wiring loom... Regardless of the options that actually do get put in the car...
Nav
In today's world I would agree with you. But back then, it was different. They were making money and the parent companies had deep pockets. Control was not as tight as it is today.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Raybo Marine NY

Post by Raybo Marine NY »

I Havent asked Ron if he knew if the boat was originally gas powered or not.
Someone made a piece of fill pipe and plumbed the return lines into it.
All the lines in the boat have hose clamps
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

My '66 was gas from the factory, but the bronze plate that the fill hose goes into on the front top of the tank was drilled and tapped for a return fitting. It has a pipe plug in it that I use to manually check the fuel level now.
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

I will check mine this weekend if it does not rain. Right now they are calling for heavy rains in South Jersey all weekend.

If memory serves me correctly, mine was tapped at the fuel fill plate. It did not run back to the plate for the pick up and sending unit.

But it sounds more like Raybo's is some one not realizing there was a fitting already in the tank.

Robbie, by the way, what year is this 31. Could be one built in the first year of production and then who knows how the tank came through. Maybe it did not have a fitting.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Pete Fallon

Post by Pete Fallon »

Rabyo Marine,
Most of the factory return lines were plumbed into the tank at a plate that was tapped and bolted to the top of the tank. I have seen the setup that you describe (into the fuel fill ) on a few 31's that were repowered later on. I really don't think that Bertram would do something like that.
Pete Fallon
1961 Express Vizcaya Hull 186 12-13-61
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

If you tank has the bronze plate it is easy to remove, drill and tap it to do it right.
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31