Heat Exchangers and Oil Coolers

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Bertramp

Heat Exchangers and Oil Coolers

Post by Bertramp »

I wanted to post an "atta-boy" to LENCO coolers in Amityville, NY (Long island) ... have given me great service and great prices on a heat exchanger and an oil cooler for my Crusaders (I'm doing a re-do on the cooling system), they also do Cummins and I'm pretty sure Mercruiser.
Nice folks, product has a great reputation and prices are user friendly as compared to some others.

http://www.LENCOCOOLERS.com
1970 Bahia Mar - hull# 316-1003
1990 Blackfin 27 - center console
Steve "Bertramp" Kelly
Stephan

Re: Heat Exchangers and Oil Coolers

Post by Stephan »

Steve
I purchased heat exchangers for my Crusader 454s from them last year. Excellent service, great product and they were well packed for shipping. When its time for new oil/transmission coolers I go back to them.
Best,
Stephan
Possunt quia posse videntur
PaulJ

Post by PaulJ »

I redid my cooling systems 4 years ago. The heat exchanger and oil coolers have zinc anodes that screw in-bolt type rods. How often do you need to check/replace? Does it matter if the boat is kept on a lift?

Paul J
1973 B28 - PALADIN
Stephan

Post by Stephan »

Paul-
I have been replacing the HX zincs every year. They are not terribly degraded but I am mindful that if I let them go they will likely shed pieces into the cooler and fracture when I remove them for replacement. I think the zincs for the coolant exchanger are $2.00 each and the oil/transmission cooler are $1.15 each for my Crusader 454s at boatzincs.com. They can be purchased with the bolt head or without. I might switch to purchasing the ones with the bolt head as it is a pain to clean out the threads in the old bolt head if the old zinc does not come out cleanly.
Best,
Stephan
Hueso

Post by Hueso »

Stephan:

If it is not to much trouble, can you please post the specific parts (zinc rods) you are writing about.

David
Navatech

Post by Navatech »

PaulJ wrote:How often do you need to check/replace?
It depends on numerous factors such as how much you actually use the boat, other boats in the vicinity, shore power system condition etc... I check mine every 100 hours (when I do oil and filter maintenance)... I carry a number of spares and replace the zincs (bolt with attached zinc) when they're about 15%-20% degraded... It's easy enough and cheap enough...
PaulJ wrote:Does it matter if the boat is kept on a lift?
Being out of the water would insulate you from stray currents caused by other boats and/or marina utilities but there's still seawater in your cooling system so you're not totally safe...
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

I agree that Lenco is a great comapnay to deal with I got oil coolers from them a few years ago.
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
Stephan

Post by Stephan »

Hueso wrote:Stephan:

If it is not to much trouble, can you please post the specific parts (zinc rods) you are writing about.

David
David-
Sorry for the delay.
E-1Z Engine Zinc Anode E-1Z 2 $2.00 (Zinc Only)
E-0Z Engine Zinc Anode E-0Z 2 $1.65 (Zinc Only)
Here's the link to the page where I purchase them http://www.boatzincs.com/engine_zinc-only.html
Here's the page with the brass plug attached to the zinc. http://www.boatzincs.com/engine.html

The oil/transmission cooler in my Crusader 454s takes the 0Z and the HX takes the 1Z.

I have used plumbing tape on the threads of the zincs. Am I defeating the connection to protect the metal I am trying to protect?

Best,
S
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

I have used plumbing tape on the threads of the zincs. Am I defeating the connection to protect the metal I am trying to protect?
Stephan,

No, there will still be metal to metal (electrical) contact even with Teflon tape. The tape only fills up tiny gaps between the threads...
Br,

Patrick

Molon labe
Charlie J

Post by Charlie J »

put some never seize on the threads
1968 hull # 316 - 757
Stephan

Post by Stephan »

CaptPatrick wrote: No, there will still be metal to metal (electrical) contact even with Teflon tape. The tape only fills up tiny gaps between the threads...
Thank you!
S