News from Bertram

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

News from Bertram

Post by CaptPatrick »

The Ft. Lauderdale International Boat Show kicks off next week and this event will mark an important milestone for us. On Friday, November 6th at 6:30 pm we’ll reveal our new model to the Bertram community and the international boating press. And as a Bertram insider, we’d love to have you join us after the announcement for a little BBQ and maybe some tall tales.

It’s been a busy year for the Bertram team leading up this kick-off. In the past eight months we signed on with Michael Peters Yacht Design to engineer our first series of new models. As mentioned in my last correspondence, we also contracted with Lyman-Morse in Thomaston, Maine to build the first prototype. In fact, as I pen this note, the hull mold is going against the flock of southbound snowbirds and heading north towards Maine. This exciting new model launches in the late spring of 2016 and is designed to exceed 40 knots with Cat diesel power. We’re spending the time before we go into production to ensure she is a tough, functional, and fast machine. Take a look at the transom shown here. She’s going to be a stunner.

In addition, we’re paying just as much attention to the accommodations and onboard comfort. On that note, we’re excited to announce that veteran interior designer firm Marty A. Lowe Inc. joins the team. Based in Ft. Lauderdale, Marty has a deep experience and understanding of Bertram’s DNA gained from her years of project collaboration with the company. She has a unique ability to create a space that will reflect elegant sophistication, equally ready for a day on the tournament circuit or a weekend cruise.

And thanks to the input that we’ve received from Bertram Insiders like you, we’re confident that our new model will ignite the same passion and enthusiasm as the iconic Bertram 31 did more than 50 years ago. After our announcement, I encourage you to continue to provide us with your opinions and suggestions. Your input is invaluable in continuing to make a better Bertram.

If you haven’t done so, please drop us a line at marketing@bertram.com to ensure you’re on the list for our Friday reception. We’re next to the big cocktail barge on D-dock. We’ll see you there.

Sincerely,
Capt. Tommy Thompson
Product Development Manager
Bertram Yacht
Stephan

Re: News from Bertram

Post by Stephan »

CaptPatrick wrote: ...we’re confident that our new model will ignite the same passion and enthusiasm as the iconic Bertram 31 ...
Dang, not getting expectations up or anything huh?

I hope it does!
S
Possunt quia posse videntur
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Hopefully they can pull it off. A lot of builders have fallen by the wayside due to economic conditions. They are moving forward into uncertain economic times. The only thing they have going for them at the moment is cheap oil.

They need to prove they can repair the name. That is going to be their first task.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Raybo Marine NY

Post by Raybo Marine NY »

35' version, first hull is being laid up this week!
Navatech

Post by Navatech »

How about if any members go to the show we do a meet & greet, get together for some drinks etc?
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

Hey Rob spill the beans, what did you see.
1969 31 Bertram FBC "East Wind" hull #315939
Raybo Marine NY

pete I have seen computer generated photos and line drawings including cabin layout.
It looks just like a 31, but its a 35
very classical interior bob lico will love that its not all white gelcoat inside

sounds more like they are going back to their roots hopefully the boat is a winner and sells and maybe they will build other models that are within reach of buyers and more importantly quality built
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

For a deep vee 35' to do 40 knots, I wonder what engines... Monsters, with monstruous consumption...
Unless its not that a deep vee... Next week we'll know.
1973 B28 FBC/2007 4LHA STP's - "Phantom Duck" - Hull "BER 00794 1172"
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

Raybo Marine NY wrote:pete I have seen computer generated photos and line drawings including cabin layout.
It looks just like a 31, but its a 35
very classical interior bob lico will love that its not all white gelcoat inside

sounds more like they are going back to their roots hopefully the boat is a winner and sells and maybe they will build other models that are within reach of buyers and more importantly quality built
Very cool, thanks Rob. It will be way above my pay grade but still fun to check out...

I'm hoping to see a layout similar to the 35 Cabo. No step up or down from the cockpit to the salon and the engines split between the rear bulkhead. I know not everyone is a huge Cabo fan around here but from a use of space that boat really worked. Big cockpit, lower center of gravity and nicely appointed cabin...
Raybo Marine NY

Pete- the layout I have seen shows flybridge, 3 helm seats. Different layouts maybe? If you didnt know better you think its a 31- thats how close it resembles the 31
makes sense with Bertram asking for a classic 31 to be at the show.
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

At least they are concentrating on one thing and seem to want to make it right. So many names bought out of bankruptcy throw multiple products out, none of which ever get the scrutiny they deserve.

They have one chance to make an impression. Hopefully their hope and change is not the same hope and change we got in 08'
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

Raybo Marine NY wrote:Pete- the layout I have seen shows flybridge, 3 helm seats. Different layouts maybe? If you didnt know better you think its a 31- thats how close it resembles the 31
makes sense with Bertram asking for a classic 31 to be at the show.
That is going to be cool. I can't wait to see it!
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Well looks sell, and if it looks like a 31 then people will think it will handle like a 31. So they may get a following.

Peter

Some of the CABO's were not as great of a sea boat as they were made out to be. The CABO 30 could not run with a 31 with Diesels and then put them head to head in a head sea and the 31 would just walk away from the CABO. The early 35 CABO's were a tough head sea boat also.

Don't get me wrong, the CABO had a great finish and was well built. Great looking boat. But like any other boat, it had it's flaws. When I was slipping in a Marina, there was a 30 CABO next to me for a few years.

I can say, it was like a Corvette, seemed to be a girl Magnet. The guy who owned it's son had different girls out every weekend.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

Tony.

I know the 35 Cabo has some short comings. The accommodations and layout flow really nice compared to other 35s. I'm not sure how those prop pockets were a great choice. Sounds like from what Rob is saying she's gonna be a looker.
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

I'm looking forward to the Friday night reception.
If any other owners are in town, try to make it to the event. They want all Bertram owners to rsvp and attend.
See you there!
Steve Marinak
Duchess - 1973 Sportfisherman
Navatech

Post by Navatech »

SteveM wrote:I'm looking forward to the Friday night reception.
Me too!...
SteveM wrote:If any other owners are in town, try to make it to the event.
Unless something comes up I'll make it...
SteveM wrote:See you there!
How will we recognize other members?!...
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

Another reason to have your username be something close to your real name and your avatar be your picture.
Navatech

Post by Navatech »

PeterPalmieri wrote:Another reason to have your username be something close to your real name and your avatar be your picture.
Navatech IS my real (business) name... For the record, my documents (driver's license, passport etc) say Eliezer Navarsky... As for a picture, I'll need to find a head shot... Having said that, there's probably going to be several hundred people there... Unless one has met somebody previously I think recognizing somebody is going to be hard...

I wonder, if I prepared a bunch of (Avery) stickers showing "bertram31.com" would:
  1. The Bertram people allow them and have them available at the entry?
  2. People actually use them?
jrhaszard

Post by jrhaszard »

How about a paper name tag. Does anyone remember " Dare to be great" . the Coscorp guy from Orlando in early the seventies? The Holiday Inns were full of zombies wearing nametags with that name tag. " Hello, I'm Glen Turner aand I dare to be great. Then he went to jail. First time that ever happened in Florida.
BERG1847M80F
Navatech

Post by Navatech »

jrhaszard wrote:How about a paper name tag.
Another option... One that I will be using if the other option doesn't work out...
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

Usually in the past the 31 folks don't have trouble finding each other. Attire is usually a UVI, gathering or Bertram 31.com shirt. Pat and I will be together.
Navatech

Post by Navatech »

Bruce wrote:Attire is usually a UVI
Sorry for the ignorance but what is a UVI?!...
Bruce wrote:or Bertram 31.com shirt
I'd love to buy one... Could you bring one with you?!...
Bruce wrote:Pat and I will be together.
I'd be honored to meet both of you...
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Nav

Nav,

Before your time unfortunately, but we had a member we lovingly called Uncle Vic. Unfortunately he passed a way and is sorely missed. He primed the pump on this board and was in his business days know for chasing down bad guys for the Feds, prosecuting them and putting them in jail. Well that is what he told us.

I would say, you and he would have had this pot cooking if he was still with us. I think Capt. Pat would also be bald by now or shut the board down.

In any event, he lived in Louisiana and he used to organize a fishing outing the came to be called the UVI. Short for Uncle Vic Invitational. Those that made it fondly remember the events held in Port Ead's then later on at Tropic Star lodge. Suffice to say, old UV always won. Oh and I never attended but I believe there was a lot of Alcohol consumed.

Now for the T shirt, for those that have attended a 31 get together, have usually obtained a T shirt. Not sure if there any left over from Green Port, but if there are, that would be the most recent one available. They are usually made to order.

So that is a short history of the UVI.

By the way Bruce will be the one dressed in pink carrying a shotgun.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Craig Mac

Post by Craig Mac »

For anybody that has seen the renderings---I am hoping that the 35 will be a cross between a Blackfin 32/33 and a Liberty 42, low profile with motor boxes---is it anything close?
Bertramp

Post by Bertramp »

B31 T-shirt or a Hawaiian shirt ..... standard attire for this event
1970 Bahia Mar - hull# 316-1003
1990 Blackfin 27 - center console
Steve "Bertramp" Kelly
Navatech

Post by Navatech »

Bertramp wrote:B31 T-shirt or a Hawaiian shirt ..... standard attire for this event
Hawaiian shirt I can do!... If you see somebody with a reddish Hawaiian shirt and reddish slacks - that will be me!!!
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

No one has posted it yet?!? I would have thought the site would be blowing up this morning.
If you are on their email list a nice pic of the new boat was sent out with a build your own link below.
Use Google Chrome as your browser, others are not supported yet.
http://www.bertram.com/build-a-boat/
Here's one I built on the build your own.
Steve Marinak
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

OMG I never thought I'd drool over another boat again. Cannot wait to see interior layout..
my other east

Post by my other east »

well, the ol' lady ain't getting any tonight now.....
Eric Vincent
1974 31 FBC hull # 315-1442
Bertramp

Post by Bertramp »

still my beating heart !!
Steve "Bertramp" Kelly
Bertramp

Post by Bertramp »

the hull of the 20, 25 and 31 all looked exactly the same, just put on an enlarger, this has the same look .... the wallet can't handle it, but that doesn't mean I don't want one !!
Now I HAVE to go to the show !!
Steve "Bertramp" Kelly
Navatech

Post by Navatech »

SteveM wrote:Use Google Chrome as your browser, others are not supported yet.
Safari (Mac browser handles it just fine...
Navatech

Post by Navatech »

Bertramp wrote:Now I HAVE to go to the show !!
See you there... I'll be the guy dressed in a reddish Hawaiian shirt and reddish slacks...
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

Please someone take a picture of this goof ball in red pants and a Hawaiian shirt, I'm sorry I've bit my tongue for long enough....
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

As Tony has eluded to the shirts have come from events one has attended or that others have had made up at one time. A few are custom shirts owners have made for and given out. I don't have any shirts to sell.

They are usually available during an event. If anyone has any extras send Nav a message if you will for size and price with shipping.

And yes I will be wearing pink and day glow yellow with white slip on shoes.
Craig Mac

Post by Craig Mac »

Now I am anxious to see what power will be available?
Dug

Post by Dug »

I'll tell you I think she is absolutely beautiful. They hit it out of the park with this design. I hope she appeals to enough people to sell well. Big question in my mind; what I really want to know, is price. Yes, I know it depends on options but I'd really like to know starting price at least.

My fingers are crossed and my hopes are high. She is beautiful!!!
Craig Mac

Post by Craig Mac »

Also surprised that they went for a flybridge ----big improvement over the last 36 they introduced--that was butt ugly.
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

Craig Mac wrote:Now I am anxious to see what power will be available?
"This exciting new model launches in the late spring of 2016 and is designed to exceed 40 knots with Cat diesel power"
mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Post by mike ohlstein »

I hope that doesn't mean cold molded.
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

mike ohlstein wrote:I hope that doesn't mean cold molded.
We'll find out for sure.

Tier III emissions are set to kick in 2016. Engine selections will be reduced. Weight certainly will be a factor in the speed.
Raybo Marine NY

well there is a hull mold, so I cant see them going cold mold for the deck and other components.

Also showing with or without bulkhead forward of the engine boxes
2 large in deck storage boxes and transom baitwell

really does look like a stretch 31
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Well

Bertram just might be back. This one might just bump someone off the 25 all time prettiest boat list.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Pete Fallon

Post by Pete Fallon »

Faithful,
The design is wonderful, classic lines like it should be. Mike Peters hit a home run on this one.congratulations to him. I wonder if it will have a flat pad at the keel

cupped chines and a down angle on the lifting strakes, when we built the 34' Legend back in 1999 it had all those items plus 23 layers of solid FRP in the bottom. The Legend run 63 mph with twin 225 E-tech out boards and weighed 9900 wet. What is the dead rise?, a true deep v at 24 or some type of modified deadrise. I just hope they don't over price it. I am interested in buying one next year after the the doctors finally get my knee straightened out . After this next opetration which will be #18 and the 4th total knee replacement in the past 15 th year ' the lawyers are going to have a field day with the implant maker. I wish I could be at the show but I am still on crutches and stuck up here in the Boston area. Pete Fallon
1961 Express Vizcaya Hull 186 12-13-61
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

As Rob said there is a mold they had a picture on Facebook. There is also a prior thread here that showed the running surface and I think I remember it was 22 degrees. I'd dig through the other threads but I think in a few days they'll be releasing all the details.

It's comforting to know I'm not the only one a "little shy" of a half mil burning a hole in my pocket to hop on the pre order list ;(
Joseph Fikentscher

Post by Joseph Fikentscher »

Here's the mold. Looks like prop pockets.

Sea Hunt Triton 207, a step down, but having fun till my next Bertram!

[url]https://www.instagram.com/endurance_ber ... hl=en/[url]
Hueso

Post by Hueso »

Back to their roots!

I bet a fishing outing down in Puerto Rico that the base introductory price will be $475,000. :) Post your bets boys!

Kidding apart, $100K each engine, $200K labor and materials; $50K whatever they include as "options"; $25K markup price = my number
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

Prop pockets, work out the speed with gearing and large wheels?

Idle speeds? Many questions.

Hueso, I think your right on the price figure. When Pete's lawyers get done, rumor has it he's buying one for everyone.
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

I think Hueso's number is right there. We will know tonight. If I were to bet an "over/under" on Hueso. I'd say over. Could be in the $500's easy.
35' is a good size. And a great entry for the new brand.
Steve Marinak
Hueso

Post by Hueso »

Pete:

I want mine with fighting chair and tan cushions/cumin pads. White all around with blue boot stripe. No tower please! Thank you.

David