Need suggestions.. Going to look at 31 Bertram tomorrow

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

irstaxhelp

Need suggestions.. Going to look at 31 Bertram tomorrow

Post by irstaxhelp »

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/boa/5238779350.html

1977 31ft bertram. twin yanmar diesels, ray marine eletronics, furunoback-up gps plotter, off shore bait system/12v/110.
call for more info: doug show contact info ..please,no brokers

1200 hours

What shall I look for before making an offer and survey. Price fair?

Thxs for any help
Bruce
Site Admin

Re: Need suggestions.. Going to look at 31 Bertram tomorrow

Post by Bruce »

Frankly there's not enough information in the ad to make suggestions other general boat stuff and hull integrity.
Are you sea trialing it or just looking?

If your sea trialing then engine model, conversion year would be nice as specific recommendations can be made.
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Maybe one of the members from Southern Cal. know the boat.

I think the best thing is to get it surveyed if you are serious. Find a good Diesel mechanic who knows those engines to go over them.

Even if the price is right, a survey can save you a ton of headaches. as far as the price, for diesel it could be right, but, depending on what needs fixing, you might want to only be paying for the engines. If there are hull integrity problems or other issues then the numbers are to high.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Bill Fuller

Post by Bill Fuller »

I can not provide any direct information on the boat. But I have noticed it routinely as it is slipped at Dana landing where I fuel.
The boat has always looked to be well maintained and cared for. It looks good from 40-50 yards and we always seem to comment on it as we pass.
As Bruce mentioned, the add tells almost nothing and I have seen the add and wondered why. I will ask some of the guys I know on that dock if they have heard anything about the boat.

I few general items to ask about:
Find out what model and year the engines are, probably 6LPAs or 4LHAs, both good motors. If it has the newer Yanmar BY series motors, I would walk away (just my opinion).
Check the coolant. If it is not orange, again consider walking. Also find out the change intervals.
Find out if the after coolers, heat exchangers, oil coolers and gear coolers have been apart for servicing and how often.
Ask about the raw water pumps services, how often for new impellers. For me, the answer to this question will tell you how well the owner is taking care of his boat.
Ask basic questions about what maintenance has been done, have any parts been replaced, etc.
Look at the exhaust system. Does it have a dry section to get the water dump into the exhaust at a downward angle.
Just get as much info as you can on the boats maintenance.

Hope this helps and let us know what you fined and post some pictures. Or if you like email me some pictures for some comments.

Bill (AUDAX, Bertram 28)
ed c.

Post by ed c. »

I haver never seen rails on the sides and stern of a 31 before. Is this something particular to Southern California?
Joe E

Post by Joe E »

Yes. The stern rail is a so cal thing or more (west coast). So is the bow rail coming all the way back to the back of the bridge also you'll notice the bait tank in the center of the deck. We do a lot of our fishing on anchor. That's why most of our boats have bow pulpits ( not very liked on this board but very normal and eye pleasing to us) Also it is very rare to see a fighting chair on the deck on the west coast. Our bait usually consist of 6-8 sardines, 4 inch anchovies, mackerel or 4-8 squid ( mostly what I fish). When fishing tuna, I will troll until we get bit. Then slide bait back or fish floating kelp patties that hold the fish under them (very common here) the tuna usually range from. 25-50 lbs. This year is an exception and we have had fish to 225 and other exotics we only see once every thirty years. The fishing in so cal is very diverse so each guy might have his own targeted species, style and technique. Joe
4 1/2 years to build, Slashed Sept 16, 2016. 212 hours already and counting.
longfin

Post by longfin »

I remember when the boat was put together about 2002. The motors were installed by Bosuns locker in Costa Mesa, CA they are 6LP's. For some reason I think one of them ate a valve early on. She was for sale for a very long time in Newport Beach, price was insanely high at the time like $155K. Honestly I was never a fan of the paint work and the motor install was in my opinion less than steller, this was over ten years ago by the way. The guy who had the boat put together is a hard core sailor not so much into fishing, hence the handicap railing around the cockpit. $55K seems like a bargain compared to where it came from ! For what it's worth I'm a Socal guy and I removed my bow rail and my anchor pulpit, the rail around the cockpit is goofy.
STraenkle

Post by STraenkle »

Well at least the vessels name is fitting for a ad the starts off, "must sell!!!!!"
Scott Traenkle