mechanics gloves

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Bruce
Site Admin

mechanics gloves

Post by Bruce »

The typical mechanics gloves don't do well with oil and greases. They also don't allow working with parts that require a fine touch. They are mostly for just preventing your hands from being banged up.
Then they are the 9 mil surgical type gloves which are better for above but offer no bang or tear up your hand protection.

Never took much to any type of gloves as I always found them confining, yea I know a weird tick and my hands show the years of destruction.
But I need to be wearing some gloves at this point.

Anyone know of a cross between the two types I listed?

I had the same issue trying to find a second skin type shooting glove. Found a pair, was great, lost one and the company quit making them.
MarkD

Re: mechanics gloves

Post by MarkD »

Bruce:

I have been using a glove that works well with oils and fluids and I find them very easy to work with. I find them to be very durable but will allow me to use them for finer details. I will check the brand when I get home (traveling for work) and I can send you down a few so you can try them out if you like.

Mark
mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Post by mike ohlstein »

I've been wearing mil surplus tactical gloves for shooting for the past year. I'm pretty happy with them, and the hard knuckles would probably make them pretty good for wrench work too.
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
Carl

Post by Carl »

I pretty much hate gloves...if I need to wear its nitrate or a thin pigskin for welding, aka- TIG welding gloves, nice dexterity but $$.

Home cheapo sells a few that are ok too under various names...but some don't like heat...others don't hold up, some toss a seam where you need to feel. Hit or miss at best.

Did I mention I hate glovres....funny cause I buy an awful lot of them for the guys...
IRGuy

Post by IRGuy »

I don't like gloves either, but for some work they are necessary.. I read about a simple trick several teas ago that makes leather gloves more soft,

Put them on and every chance you get load them up with any old hand lotion.. eventually they get softened and are more "sensitive".
Frank B
1983 Bertram 33 FBC "Phoenix"
--------------
Trump lied! Washington DC isn't a swamp.. it is a cesspool!
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

Bruce,
You could try Nomex Flight Gloves. Very thin nomex and leather. Just enough for preventing skinned knuckles. Not sure about how well they do with oil. I suppose you could weld with them..........they should not catch on fire.

To be honest you sound like you should be wearing corvette shoes.
If you start complaining about dish pan hands you will have to surrender your man card.
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

Thanks for the replies.

My hands are so banged up, the man card has no fear of leaving.

It takes me 45 minutes a night to clean the grease and grime off my hands. And then there still is a Michael Jackson shade of dark left over.

I ordered some 9 mil. Will try those.
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

Bruce: I used to use the nitrile glove Costco sells, but they are too fragile. Believe it or not the best gloves I have found are the blue 7 mil nitrile gloves from Harbor Freight (yes you read that right)!

http://www.harborfreight.com/7-mil-nitr ... 68506.html

They are virtually solvent proof, and while you do loose some sensitivity, they aren't too thick like their 9 mil black ones. I get two to three times the wear out of a pair than other gloves I have tried. They also have high cuffs, which I like. They are tough enough that I have been able to reuse pairs fairly often.

I don't like the true "mechanic's gloves" because they are too thick and also get really nasty fast when working around old grease equipment. With nitrile I can smear grease on a part pull them off, reglove and get right back to work.

I have been wearing gloves for mechanics work for 20 years now. A couple of years ago I developed solvent sensitivity on my hands while doing a large PVC plumbing project. Everywhere the glue touched I have dry skin/cracking problems. I should have been wearing gloves for that! The best thing I have found for dry hands is O'Keefe's Working Hands.
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
Russ Pagels

Post by Russ Pagels »

Playtex gloves,they stand up to every thing I throw at them and are reusable . I have three pairs loose, regular and tight. Just did the teak on the boat this morning spent 5 hours in the gloves no leaks no problems. will they prevent a busted knuckle no, when the bolt snaps ands the hand goes in to the engine nothing is going to help. just my 3 cents...Russ
1972 31 FBC 315-141-1226

All that is necessary for evil to succeed
is that good men do nothing.
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

The 9 mil gloves worked fine for greasy crap.

Russ, I hear ya but if I walked into the shop with playtex gloves I would loose my old man kool status among the young guns there. Once its gone, theres no getting it back. I'm to old to start over in another town.
Navatech

Post by Navatech »

Bruce wrote:It takes me 45 minutes a night to clean the grease and grime off my hands. And then there still is a Michael Jackson shade of dark left over.
When I was still working as a grease monkey on ships the trick I used was that I would "pre-lube" my hands with the soap provided by the company... It smelled a little like almonds and otherwise seemed identical to the white Gojo creamy stuff... I'd take a small dab and just massage it into my skin prior to starting work... Think hand cream procedure... I'd wipe off any excess with a clean rag... worked like a dream...

The procedure was repeated after morning coffee time, lunch and afternoon coffee time... Worked like a dream and was actually better then the protective cream we were sometimes provided with...