Long Island gun show

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

bob lico

Long Island gun show

Post by bob lico »

the gun show will be at the IBEW. local 25 union hall on 372 motor parkway in Hauppauge, NY. March 14 and 15 . i will be there with nassau/suffolk county police and my friend Debbie from police pistol bureau will answer any legal questions my Bertram brothers may have. i also have a FFL license holder with me whom has direct line to FEDS for NICS. check .will be at table one, what ever you need in the gun world or legal ramifications of gun ownership in NY. either pistol or rifle. legal concerns for transfer.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Tony Meola

Re: Long Island gun show

Post by Tony Meola »

Bob

I have a question for you maybe you can help me help my lazy Brother-in-Law. He is former Transit cop and now a retired NY court officer with his primary residence in Arizonia, but due to my nephews illness they are back living in NJ until that situation resolves itself.

He has is service revolver in a safe deposit box in NY but he can not find his permit for it, and says he needs it to get the gun and have it registered in NJ.

I told him to go to the courts to get a copy of his permit. but wiht everything going on in their lives right now, he and my sister just don't have a day to waste doing that.

Is there a place he can write to and request that they send him a copy of his NY permit?

Thanks

Tony
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

tony i will only advise you on what i am positively sure off. i rather give no answer then wrong answer.lets start out with there are only to agencies that are "above the law" that is a federal marshall and homeland security agent whom can go to any state buy a rifle/pistol on his own "Brass" i do not know about NSA.,CIA,however ATF, FBI must go thru NICS check and have limit on gun ownership.all other must have pistol permit in there own jurisdiction however if active police,transit,police,court officer have a honored concealed permit in entire state but when retired must apply for federal permit (very differcult and quite a bit of paperwork) or they become ordinary pistol concealed permit owner in the state .another words once they retire they have no special go anywhere permit now you have NYPD /transit PD and a entire different set of rules because they had a NYC. carry permit and never lose it.i can never completely explain NYC gun carrying laws, lets start out with NYC does not honor any other county carry permit for the rest of state or any other state you must consider NYC as a separate country!you have the advantage of a one time transit PO. so you can deal directly with NYC and not the state.off the record if it was me i would take the " book" from safe deposit box and unload it and mag. then transport to Arizona (make sure he has his ID. on him just in case because he going thru one of the worst states in the union---NJ.he can call a Arizona sheriff and say he wants a one time unloaded non- carry transfer permit because he has residency in AR.once in AR.it is simple to register for full carry that state being one of the best for pistol permit along with FL.,PENN.,laws are crazy in us you can have a 36 state Pennsylvania permit or Florida permit and drive thru every state from Florida going north but can and will be arrested in NJ.or NYC. but can go around on to Maine.off the record suffolk county NY.pistol permit required all pistols to be completely concealed.no open jacket or coat can reveal side arm. however when i go to my Maine house to visit the same pistol MUST be completely exposed! the best is NC. here in the deep south they will not honor any out of state pistol permit even the bordering southern states! so if you dive from any state up north to winter in FL. don't get caught in NC. with pistol regardless of permit status unless active Sheriff from out of state.tony i tried to answer your post as well as give my brothers a word to the wise with pistol permits.the 36 state PA. and 27 state FL. pistol permit is available at this gun show there is a rep. there.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Charlie J

Post by Charlie J »

bob
is Debbie in Nassau or suffolk
1968 hull # 316 - 757
Carl

Post by Carl »

I feel So Much safer in NYC with all these rules and regulations for pistols...
It definitely keeps guns out of the wrong hands.

...at least legal ownership.
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

Debbie was the pistol permit officer at suffolk county police headquarters ,Yaphank, NY.now retired she knows everyone in police world mainly because she is beautiful and rides a HD as member of blue knights motorcycle club.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Bob

Thanks

If I understand you correctly, since he was a transit cop in NYC and then a NYC court officer, he would then have a NYC Permit and ID, which he can not find. So he would have to go to one of the NYC Police Deptl to get a copy of his permit and ID?

Then he can go from that point and figure out what works.

Problem is, with my Nephew's medical issues (brain tumor) I don't see them going to Arizona anytime soon. So it may have to stay in the safe deposit box in NY. the issue is he is now 78 and in decent health but at the start of Parkinsons. My sister would like him to resolve this issue before she is stuck trying to figure it out if something happens to him.

Thaks I appreciate the insite.

Tony
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Charlie J

Post by Charlie J »

tony
if he can get the gun, have him transfer it to federal licenced
dealer in Arizona, and again you need to use a federal licenced dealer
to transfer it out, when he gets back to Arizona it will be waiting for him
1968 hull # 316 - 757
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

Tony,
Depending on the county and if he still retains a residence in NY and was issued a life time permit from certain counties, it may be valid although in 13' new law made all pistol licenses valid for max of 5 years. Any inquiries may lead to a conflict on it being valid.

There is a federal retired LE permit but like being active duty it has a requirement for qualification.

I'd forget the NJ transfer and like Charlie said get it out of NY to Arizona. An easy way even if he isn't going to AZ for a while is just ship it to a AZ ffl local gun store close to his address and let them hold it till they get back.

Do not pick up and try and ship from NJ. Take it to a NY ffl and let them ship it although the value of the gun may not be worth spending much money on.
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

thats what i am saying remove the "book" from safe deposit box and mail the Book to AR. look on Gun Broker.com and find AR. FFL holder and mail the book to him or mail book to a friend in AR. when he goes back he can register it.DO NOT MAIL AMMO,MAGAZINE in US mail. Marked book.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Charlie J

Post by Charlie J »

they only charge $35.00
1968 hull # 316 - 757
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

you notice i avoided the register in NJ part of post. i agree with bruce don`t do that. NYPD/ transit in a completely separate entity from the rest of NY. Contact his PBA. and he can use his own brass for permit.i realize this site is monitored by feds so we don`t use "T" word but that is the reason NYPD has special privileges not applicable to any other county in NY or the country.there are NYPD people in places other then NYC..as long as he has his brass nobody is going to stop him from transporting.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

Bob,
Won't comment on "special privledges" for NYPD other than during the 80's and 90's I worked on a bunch of boats for millionaire NYPD detectives who retired in Florida at an early age. I believe they were mostly from the narcotics division.
They sure do pay well up there.
RAWicklund

Post by RAWicklund »

Jeez....what a bunch of bureaucracy to be a law abiding citizen....... I wonder how the bad guys handle it? ;))
1971 Sportfish 314 49 1103
1994 B28 BERF2720L394
buzzk

Post by buzzk »

Bob, if you're talking about North Carolina not recuperating with other states that's incorrect. You can look on the NC website and see that NC recuperates with just about everyone. I may be wrong but I believe effective 2011 NC recognizes all states concealed carry permits. I know that NC recuperates with all the adjoining states.
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Bob, Bruce & Charlie

Thanks good information.

I will have them do the transfer and Federal Permit with shipping to a dealer in Arizona. Yes gun might not be worth it, but he has an attachment to it.

Evidently it is of course a 38 special which is what they used when he has working for the city. It is evidently super accurate. He won some shooting contests with it and so did several of his fellow LE. When ever they needed to qualify or in a contest they all used his revolver.

It isn't the value of the gun, I know when he is in Arizona he goes to the range with some of his buddies and uses their firearms. I think he just wants to use his again.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

tony there are conditions and certain things you can not find by google! no outside PD /sheriff is going to collar a retired nypd/transit PO. transporting his own service piece to his retirement home.nothing further to talk about.think PBA!!!
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

I understand.

Thanks for all the information.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
jspiezio

Post by jspiezio »

Tony- it all sounds very confusing to me, and a bit contradictory. My advice to your friend,I wouldn't take any action based on anything anyone on a website told me. He should go to a an NY FFL and a NJ FFL and ask them how he should proceed. Firearms have a funny way of causing problems when they are crossing state lines, retired PO or not. A badge might help, but this is definitely a case where an ounce of prevention is worth a lot more than a pound of cure.
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

over a period of 4 years on and around march 14 we have brought in around 6000 pistols,rifles,antiques from Florida to Maine to the LI. gun show.two years ago ATF agents checking up on the machine guns displayed. trust me these guys have the experience. i spent two to three hours a day making sure federal paperwork is correct while on the phone with Feds.Ethics question; what race if you enter Caucasian you need separate entity for Spanish. All infractions means civil disturbance for cursing at sports game. unbelievable!!!!!
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

Bob,
You do not strike me as a paperwork kind of guy! Hard to get your hands dirty and build something cool out of a ream of paper.
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

i should add to the discussion in different parts of the country some rifles,pistols,knifes,and antiques have much higher values.comparing the huge gun show from Orlando florida to long island clearly illustrates this. civil war anything from CSA.is worth a fortune on LI. gotta love when those boys from VA. bring in these incredible CSA. antiques that only have "lookers" elsewhere.not sure interest might be from civil war enactments or what ever maybe more spendable money here .big bucks for the bird hunting oddities like 28 ga. special grade shotgun cannot give it away down south they do anything for it here. large caliber like 375 H&H ,375,338 tough sell down south they sell up here.i think the southerner shoot snakes with 410 ga very rare up here.stage coach double barrel shotguns fly off table in first hour up here ,no big deal south and west.nickel,chrome,357mag.pistol no big deal up here but good seller down south.the present federal administration is using social security administration,homeland security,and other funding to buy up all the AR-15,and other assault rife ammo in the country now no longer available in most northeast states so the early birds are always there to scoop up whats available from the show.times are changing the 2nd amendment is being circumvented slowly but surely.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

kevin for two days a year i can deal with it.the PO`S that sponsor this event are my friends and one is a partner on hunting camp.we even have eyes in parking lot to prevent illegal private sales.i get to sit down for a spell and you get used to the tiny little check off boxes.like a collar dot your I and cross your Tee`s or in this case it is rejected and sale lost.most of the time the problem is from a restraining order infraction or other domestic from ex wife thats on your record.------damn shame
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
MarkS
Location: The Frozen Tundra/EX-democratic stronghold Wisconsin

Post by MarkS »

This is a nice tool. Click on your state and it tells you what other states honor your concealed carry permit. As an FYI NY does NOT honor all the states.

http://www.handgunlaw.us/
72 Bertram 25 FBC "Razorsharp" Hull #254-1849
Things of quality have no fear of time.

Bondage to spiritual faith faith to great courage courage to liberty liberty to abundance abundance to complacency to apathy to dependence to bondage
jspiezio

Post by jspiezio »

MarkS wrote:This is a nice tool. Click on your state and it tells you what other states honor your concealed carry permit. As an FYI NY does NOT honor all the states.

http://www.handgunlaw.us/
That is very cool and helpful. After reading that I would be even less likely to carry that pistol into New Jersey without talking to a dealer and LE before hand.
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

the worst part is NYC does not honor any NY county within the state so traveling north,south or west you risk arrest because you must cross into nyc to get off long island or any person traveling north would have a hell of a trip avoiding nyc to get to points north like Connecticut, ,NH,MA and south.every time we leave long island we are at risk of arrest to go hunting in our own state!!!!!
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Charlie J

Post by Charlie J »

TRAVELING THROUGH NEW YORK CITY (THE FIVE BOROUGHS)
Holders of Nassau County Target/Hunting, Business, Armed Guard, Full Carry or Retired Peace Officer Pistol Licenses must comply with the following procedure when transporting firearms through the City of New York:
Have the unloaded firearm(s) in a locked container during a continuous and uninterrupted trip through the City of New York.
Ammunition and firearms must be stored separately in locked containers. Storage should be in the trunk.
1968 hull # 316 - 757
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

gotta love when those boys from VA. bring in these incredible CSA. antiques that only have "lookers" elsewhere.
That's because the rest of us know they are over priced forgeries or reproductions.
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

Bruce wrote:That's because the rest of us know they are over priced forgeries or reproductions.
Where's Rick Harrison and Chumlee when we need 'em?
Br,

Patrick

Molon labe
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

jspiezio wrote:Tony- it all sounds very confusing to me, and a bit contradictory. My advice to your friend,I wouldn't take any action based on anything anyone on a website told me. He should go to a an NY FFL and a NJ FFL and ask them how he should proceed. Firearms have a funny way of causing problems when they are crossing state lines, retired PO or not. A badge might help, but this is definitely a case where an ounce of prevention is worth a lot more than a pound of cure.

Not to worry, he needs to track down his permit, that is what started this whole thing. He needs to go back to the NYC to check to see if his permit is still active. I believe it is, since he came up as a gun owner in Rockland County when that newspaper published the list of all gun owners.

Real smart, publishing copsor even retired cop's address's. Who does that?

So his permit is probably still active. He just needs to track it down and get a copy then he can go from there.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Carl

Post by Carl »

Tony Meola wrote: Not to worry, he needs to track down his permit, that is what started this whole thing. He needs to go back to the NYC to check to see if his permit is still active. I believe it is, since he came up as a gun owner in Rockland County when that newspaper published the list of all gun owners.

Real smart, publishing copsor even retired cop's address's. Who does that?

So his permit is probably still active. He just needs to track it down and get a copy then he can go from there.

Self righteous A-holes.
Bunch of them around...many with "armed" bodyguards.

This topic just infuriates me...Law abiding people have to jump thru hoops to own a handgun legally...then jump thru higher hoops to transport them. Miss any one of the steps and you have a major problem on your hands...

Maybe lighten up on the law abiding citizens and get the illegal guns off the street...one does not need look very hard...listen for the nightly gunshots across the tracks over at the projects by the shop. Sorry...to hijack.
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

bruce i guess you could fly to France and find a pistol made in the late 1850 some how take it home and stamp CSA on receiver but under a eye loop it would be detectable .somebody purchasing a valuable pistol like that should know better unless he was purposely looking for a piece to wear in those ever popular civil war enactment.
charlie i have been doing that for forty years to hunt NY and Maine.i put sidearm in with shirts and mag in a dedicated ammo bag that is separate.a 44 cal ruger blackhawk 8" barrel in a western style holster with leather leg tie is really not concealable anyway however it may have save me grief . traveling from Maine to NY i was totally exhausted after jumping in the truck without rest.i need coffee real bad so i get off the rode by DUG`S building in Worcester MA. a 7-11 off the exit ramp .there is some " Boys in the hood" activity so i arm myself.coming out with coffee i was confronted by 5 of them.(totally illegal to carry pistol in MA.) no small talk i am going get hurt so in the most classic move my friends ever witness i put the woolen poncho behind my back like Clint Eastwood " A fistful of dollars" and put my hand on the six gun and said whats it going be! they stare for a moment and "your cool man" and walk away. i got back to car and realize what i had done and the other guys laugh all the way home.never live it down!
Last edited by bob lico on Mar 12th, '15, 15:21, edited 1 time in total.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

busy.busy bringing thousands of rounds of ammo to gun show we will have all the 22 long rife ammo you need along with 223 cal.ammo at long island gun show March 14 & 15 at 9 AM TO 5PM. I have been invited to a three day hunt in the deep mountain forrest of Tennessee.a few of the southern boys raised Russian Boars and they got out of hand .they are 400 to 500 lbs. of "armor plated beast" roaming the forest with no predators able to keep them in check. leaving in two weeks with law enforcement friends.i promise wife this is my last dance with dangerous game i have already given up motor cycles to apiece her ,now maybe a mako shark or drive a race boat to improve. i feel i have loss the edge and i should let retirement reality set in.
Last edited by bob lico on Mar 12th, '15, 15:26, edited 1 time in total.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Bob

Unfortunately we all have to one day realize that we have limitations. Just that it is a hard thing when it is due to age. We just don't want to give in.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Post by mike ohlstein »

Bob,

No matter what those southern boys say, never bring a knife to a gun fight (even if you have a good pit bull).
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

mike i kind of dream about using the compound bow but i feel i loss the edge like tracking this wild beast thru the brush and a less then dependable knee or keen hearing. i am bringing my favorite and accurate piece a 35cal. Whelen bolt action with 3 to 9 illuminator scope and hand loaded 225 grain Nosler partition bullets.barrel / action is glass bedded and super accurate to 300 yards .i will put you name in for law enforcement hunt of buffalo to thin the herd in yellowstone. no,no the feds never thin out the pheasant population but i just sit and shake my head.Lets see you are reentering wolfs in yellowstone park and have a bounty on them just north--------WTF.
Last edited by bob lico on Mar 12th, '15, 15:32, edited 1 time in total.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Post by mike ohlstein »

I'll probably see you at the show.
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

whats with you guys?--------i sold 20,000 round of 223 cal in 4 hours! along with countless bricks of .22 long rife.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473